Photo credit: Annie Archambault
Barbecue chicken and bean sprouts salad
Preparation: 20 min | Baking: 15 min | Portions: 4
- 550g Oriental bean sprouts
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1½ lbs chicken thighs or breasts
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- ½ cup store-bought barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
* can be served with jasmine rice
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the beans and carrots for 2 minutes. Dives into ice water to stop cooking. Drain and set a side.
- In a wok or large frying pan, fry chicken in half the canola and sesame oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add half the onions, half the garlic and all the ginger and cook for one minute. Add barbecue sauce and continue cooking for three to four minutes or until the sauce caramelizes on the chicken. Add sesame seeds and mix well. Keep warm.
- In a bowl, mix blanched vegetables, rice vinegar and honey with the remaining onions, oil, garlic and ginger. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with jasmine rice.