Photo credit: Annie Archambault
Warm Chicken and Seafood Salad
Preparation: 30 min | Baking: 20 min | Portions: 6
- 16 oz chicken breasts or thighs, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz scallops
- 8 oz shrimp
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce or teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 head Boston lettuce
- 1½ cup arugula
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced with membrane removed
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 185g Oriental bean sprouts
- ½ cup slivered, toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons dried papaya
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and cook chicken strips for about five minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Place shrimp in the frying pan and cook three to four minutes until pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same frying pan, cook the scallops for two to four minutes or until tender and opaque. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- In a bowl, mix wine, lemon juice, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, corn starch, oil and lemon zest. In a small saucepan, bring mixture to a boil and cook while stirring vigorously. When blending begins, add chicken and seafood.
- Wash, shred and spin-dry the lettuce. In a large bowl, mix lettuce, oranges, kiwifruit, bean sprouts and half the slivered almonds.
- Place salad on each plate, drizzle sauce and sprinkle with remaining almonds and dried papaya.