Photo credit: Annie Archambault
Beef & Rice
Preparation: 20 min | Baking: 25 min | Portions: 4
- 2⅔ cups + 2 tablespoons water
- 1⅓ cup rice
- 1 cup celery, cut into strips
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 beef sirloin steak, cut into strips
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 370g Oriental bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, cut into thin slices
- Bring 2⅔ cups of water to boil in a saucepan. Add rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots to the rice, cover and continue simmering for about four minutes or until vegetables are soft but still crunchy and all the liquid has been absorbed. Use a fork to separate rice grains.
- At the same time, heat half the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium high. Add beef, garlic and ginger and cook for about three minutes until the beef is browned but slightly pink inside, stirring constantly. Place beef mixture in a bowl and add soy sauce, oyster sauce, remaining water, pepper and Tabasco sauce and mix until beef is coated with all the other ingredients.
- Add the remaining oil to the frying pan. Add the rice mixture and cook for two minutes, stirring. Add the beef mixture and continue to stir while cooking for two more minutes or until hot. Add bean sprouts and green onions, and mix well.